TERMS & CONDITIONS
Cash on Delivery Service available all over Pakistan at Mega Sections. For Mobile Phones, LED TV’s & Home Appliances orders, customer will be required to deposit 10% payment of the total amount in advance to our bank account, an online invoice will be mailed to you immediately confirming your advance payment and remaining of the 90% payment will be collected at the time of delivery and customer will receive the original invoice of the products or services.
Pre-payment: For customers all over Pakistan who choose to order from Mega Sections will be required to deposit 100% payment in advance transferred to our bank account/jazzcash or sim sim wallet, an online invoice will be mailed to you immediately confirming your full payment. Details for jazzcash/sim sim wallet will be displayed on checkout page or can be given by dialing following number: 0310-2424345.
Order will be delivered at your doorstep via our Captain/Courier Partner in 1-4 Working Days according to your area, city and region.
In-case of not receiving the product at the time of delivery due to any reason after ordering, the delivery charges will be paid by the customer as the Management of Mega Sections will not be responsible for it.
Please see below conditions for your return request to be accepted:
– product can be returned within 48 Hours after receiving
– if the claim comes with-in 48 Hours after receiving the product, it will be acceptable for return. Initially customer have to e-mail the claim along with the pictures of products. If the claim seems valid in online QC check then we will guide you to send us back the product
– customers within & outside Karachi can return their product through any courier service on our mentioned address, once the product will be received in proper condition, second QC will be done by the QCA Dept. If the claim seems valid in real time QC as well then the amount will be transferred back to the customer via bank transfer or easy pay method after deducting initial delivery charges or if it fails the second QC check then customer can ask for his item via courier service and courier charges will be paid by the customer.
– P.S return charges will not be paid by Mega Sections
– the amount will be transferred back to the customers after deducting the delivery charges and easy pay/online bank transfer fee
– product can be returned only under valid conditions
- Damaged item received
- The product is not as advertised
- The product is the wrong size
- Dislikes are not entertained for return
Following things are mandatory before proceeding a return:
– product is still in its original packaging
– product is in its original & unused condition
– product is not damaged
– product label/seal must be intact if there is
– product includes all accessories, tags or free promotional items that came with the purchase including warranty cards, manuals, certificates of authenticity etc
Any product that is not properly packed or is damaged will not be eligible for a return, so make sure they are properly taken care of prior to the return
– Mobile Phones,LED TV’s & Home Appliances Returns/Exchange is not applicable
– Mega Sections have full right to make change in any policy without giving any prior notice to the customers